Written by: Cíntia Miranda, Director of Marketing
If you don’t have Global Mapper Mobile® on your phone or tablet, you’re missing out on a great opportunity to expand the reach of your GIS operations – for free! Global Mapper Mobile is a powerful iOS and Android application for viewing and collecting GIS data. It utilizes the GPS capabilities of mobile devices to provide situational awareness and locational intelligence for remote mapping projects. The mobile application provides maps-in-hand functionality for engineers, surveyors, wildlife managers, foresters, and anyone whose job requires access to spatial data in remote locations.
A complement to the desktop version of Global Mapper®, the mobile edition can display all of the supported vector, raster, and elevation data formats and offers a powerful and efficient data collection tool. The 2.1 release includes several new enhancements including:
- Vector feature styling improvements with an increase in the number of built-in supported vector styles and expanded support for custom symbols. Feature styles can now be previewed when creating or editing a feature as well.
- Terrain layers are now rendered with hill shading and a default color shader and elevation values can be viewed from elevation layers at a specific location.
- A new option to set the layer transparency for raster and terrain layers. This latest release also features an improved color picker and support for Dark Mode.
For advanced field mapping applications, a Pro version of Global Mapper Mobile is available for only $50. Version 2.1 of Global Mapper Mobile Pro includes all of the capabilities of the free version and it also offers:
- Advanced GPS support allowing users to connect to external high accuracy Bluetooth GPS devices, from vendors such as the Bad Elf and Juniper. This functionality allows users to access detailed information from these devices including the ability to view satellites, detailed location information, and even view/record the NMEA stream.
- A new configuration option that allows Pro users to select and change the terrain shader directly within the application.
- Water display enablement to render the simulated water level over the loaded terrain data at a given elevation to visualize potential flooding.
If you’re already using Global Mapper Mobile, update to version 2.1 now! If you haven’t tried it yet, download the app today and expand the reach of your GIS operations.
Try Global Mapper Mobile v.2.1 today!