Billy Noble, Applications Specialist at Blue Marble Geographics, answers questions that come into the technical support inbox. In this video, Billy demonstrates how to reduce the vertex count of a vector file in Global Mapper.
In this short video tutorial, we explore Global Mapper’s contour creation capability and we discuss the various option and settings that can applied during the process. Use the links below to jump ahead to a specific section:
- – Contour Generation Options (0 – 7:39)
- – Smoothing Selected Contour Lines (7:40 – 9:28)
- – Removing Polygons by Line Length (9:29 – 11:27)
- – Contour Labels and Index Contours (11:28 – 14:06)
- – Defining Zoom Level Ranges (14:07 – 19:05)
- – Generating Elevation Polygons with the Create Contours Tool (19:06 – 22:15)
If you have questions about this topic or or about any other Global Mapper feature or function, email firstname.lastname@example.org If you are new to Global Mapper, you can download a free trial version at globalmapper.com/download
This month, we reach deep into the technical support mailbag and pull out a letter from a customer who asks how to remove the collar from their raster topographic map in Global Mapper. Once again, Billy Noble is on hand to show us how this is done.
Billy Noble, Applications Specialist at Blue Marble Geographics, answers questions that come into the technical support inbox. In this video, Billy demonstrates how to customize the color and fonts of labels in a layer of a map in Global Mapper.
Billy Noble, Applications Specialist at Blue Marble Geographics, answers questions that come into the technical support inbox. In this video, Billy demonstrates how to maintain the colors of a point cloud when converting it from a LAS format to a GeoTIFF in Global Mapper.
One of the highlights of the version 20 release of Global Mapper is a new tool for generating a 3D mesh or model from a selected LiDAR or other point cloud points. The resulting layer contains a complex vector feature comprised of an array of abutting triangles that, when displayed in Global Mapper’s 3D Viewer, take the form of a realistic three-dimensional representation of the object. As is typical with Global Mapper, the process of creating a 3D mesh is remarkably straightforward.
In this example of extracting vectors from a raster layer in Global Mapper, we will automatically create polygons outlining lakes from an aerial image.
Here are the steps to follow to extract a vector from a raster layer:
- From the Layer menu, click Create Area Features from Equal Values…
- Name the target layer and choose the option to extract Only Selected Color(s)
- Choose Select Color from Map and click on a location representing the required color
- Apply a Color Fuzziness value and define the extent of the extraction process
- Use the Digitizer to remove unwanted polygons
The extracted polygons can be exported in any supported vector file format
Can your GIS software do all of this without extensions?
- Process LiDAR data
- Create elevation grids from filtered LiDAR
- Apply custom shaders
- Calculate cut and fill values
- Generate contour lines
Global Mapper does it all.
Download Global Mapper today: http://bit.ly/b-no-extensions
In this 3-minute video, we follow the steps for conducting a view shed analysis in Global Mapper that allows us to see the visual impact of a project like a wind or solar farm. The tool highlights the clear line of sight of a project by using elevation data, the project’s location, height, and radius.