Billy Noble, Applications Specialist at Blue Marble Geographics, answers questions that come into the technical support inbox. In this video, Billy demonstrates how to maintain the colors of a point cloud when converting it from a LAS format to a GeoTIFF in Global Mapper.
In this example of extracting vectors from a raster layer in Global Mapper, we will automatically create polygons outlining lakes from an aerial image.
Here are the steps to follow to extract a vector from a raster layer:
- From the Layer menu, click Create Area Features from Equal Values…
- Name the target layer and choose the option to extract Only Selected Color(s)
- Choose Select Color from Map and click on a location representing the required color
- Apply a Color Fuzziness value and define the extent of the extraction process
- Use the Digitizer to remove unwanted polygons
The extracted polygons can be exported in any supported vector file format